Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Walker: I have changed my mind on immigration

Walker: I have changed my mind on immigration
By Rebecca Shabad - 03-01-15 09:46 AM EST

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) in an interview that aired Sunday said he has changed his position on immigration reform over the last two years. 

“My view has changed. I’m flat out saying it. Candidates can say that,” Walker said in an interview that aired on “Fox News Sunday.”

“I don’t believe in amnesty,” said Walker, who is mulling a White House bid next year. “We need to secure the border. We ultimately need to put in place a system that works—a legal immigration that works. Part of doing this is putting the onus on employers.” 

Walker said he’s changed his mind on immigration since 2013, when he was asked whether he envisioned a world where illegal immigrants could become citizens if the right penalties and a waiting period were put in place. 

“Sure, yeah.. I think it makes sense,” he said at the time.

President Obama has “mishandled the issue” of immigration, added Walker, who was one of the GOP governors who signed onto a lawsuit challenging the president’s 2014 immigration orders. 

Walker said he’s changed his position on immigration after evaluating the country’s immigration problems and after talking to governors along the border.

"Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace pointed out Walker had also flip-flopped on a right-to-work law in Wisconsin that he said would be a “distraction” when he ran for reelection. 

Wisconsin’s legislature is now fast-tracking a right-to-work law and Walker said “now is the perfect time.”

Read more from The Hill: 

'I'm not comparing' union protestors, ISIS, Walker says

No comments:

Post a Comment