Search This Blog

Monday, May 11, 2015

My White Privilege

My White Privilege

Dan Bethancourt

I just figured out my "white privilege." 

My white privilege is that nobody has ever told me I'm a victim. 

As a white man, nobody has ever told me that my personal problems and inevitable misfortunes -- of which I've had plenty -- are due to the fact that I'm a woman, or a minority. 

Due to my white privilege, nobody has ever told me that any other race, class, or society at large owes me anything at all. Everything I have, I've had to sweat for and earn.

So I've gone ahead and sweated for it and earned it without resentment, without begrudging anybody, and without a sense of entitlement.

And you know what? I don't come from from millionaires and I myself am not a millionaire; but I'm both proud and happy with what I've got. And I'm sure as hell not asking for handouts.

I guess that's what "White Privilege" means to me at this point, and I'm sick of hearing about this other nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment