Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

Lavrov to Kerry: 'Don’t Worry' About What I Just Said

Lavrov to Kerry: 'Don’t Worry' About What I Just Said

By Daniel Halperon Fri, 13 Sep 2013

revealing exchange between John Kerry, his Russian counterpart (Sergey Lavrov), and an interpreter:

FOREIGN MINISTER LAVROV: With your permission, just two words.

(Via interpreter) I’m not prepared with the (inaudible) political statement to (inaudible) the Syrian problem, because our approaches are clear and they are stated in the statements of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin and in his article in The New York Times. And I’m convinced that all of you read this article and I decided not to lay out here our diplomatic position. The diplomacy likes silence. And we’re intent to find compromises, and I am sure that John, in his presentation of the American position, also showed that they would like to find mutual consensus and be – if we follow this way, I hope that we will achieve all the successes.

SECRETARY KERRY: I lost the last part of the – can you give me the last part of the translation, please? Hello?

INTERPRETER: Yes, hello.

FOREIGN MINISTER LAVROV: It was okay, John. Don’t worry. (Laughter.)

SECRETARY KERRY: You want me to take your word for it? (Laughter.) It’s a little early for that.

FOREIGN MINISTER LAVROV: Okay. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment